Thursday, April 7, 2016

New motto

I consider myself very fortunate in the fact that I love my job and the vast majority of my co-workers. One of the writers I work with frequently has two simple sentences as her profile on Instagram, and ever since discovering it the phrase has stuck with me.

Do no harm. Take no shit.

I'm kind of seriously in love with this.

Do no harm. Take no shit.

It's almost like she's wrapped up everything I wish to accomplish in my life in six words.

Do no harm. Take no shit.

Let's be honest. I've always looked up to the ladies who are classy, but don't take crap from anyone (some examples: Jen Lancaster, Katharine Hepburn, Eleanor Roosevelt, Tina Fey, etc.). And yet, when it comes to myself, I tend to let myself get trampled on... repeatedly.

Why? Because I want to be true to my Midwestern roots and be nice.

This phrase kind of has me believing I can be both ways, and still be true to myself.

Do no harm: I can continue trying to leave the world a better place. I can still be nice and want to help others.

Take no shit: If someone is rude to me, or condescending, I don't have to take it with a smile while seething inside. I can - and should - stand up for myself.

Maybe it's time to start channeling the manager my girls in Florida witnessed. There, whenever there was an issue I was frequently the one called on to solve it. Why? Because I was "Midwestern-nice but with a backbone."

Me thinks I need to find this again.

If I did it once, surely I should be able to do it again. Right?


No comments:

Post a Comment