Sunday, March 20, 2016

Bookshelf

Have you ever read a book and you've automatically wanted the author to be your best friend?

In 2008, I lost my first "big kid" job. Allegedly I was insubordinate - my boss at the time even went so far as to claim I got down on my hands and knees and bowed to her (side note: um... what?).

In actuality, I just was over my job and started mentally checking out way too soon causing my work to suffer. Stupid? Undoubtedly, but I was 23 and now see it as a learning experience.

Anyway, in case you don't remember that was the year that practically everyone and their mom lost their job, so it took me a bit longer than it otherwise would have to find another full-time gig. Things got tight, and we were in a bad way financially.

After 2 months I landed a full-time job, and between my two jobs and Ricky's one things were starting to look up again. That's when I discovered her - Jen Lancaster and her first memoir, Bitter is the New Black.

It turns out that Jen had been through a very similar situation in 2001 - but even worse, as hard as that was for me to imagine. Seriously, she helped me see that I wasn't the first person to go through a hard time, and I wouldn't be the last. She also made me laugh harder than I ever had previously while reading a book, so there's that, too.

Yes, she's 10ish years older than me, and has a notorious disdain for Millennials, but I can't help but feel in my heart of hearts that if we had the chance to meet that we'd become instant besties.

Not really, because I'd probably make it awkward somehow and stumble over my words (or literally trip while going to talk to her) and make absolutely no sense when I'm trying to explain to her how much her work means to me, and how much she helped me when I needed it most. And she'd probably smile while backing away signaling for her publicist to save her. And then I'd be sad but thrilled to have met her.

Long story short. I have a major girl crush on Jen. And though she'll never, ever in a million years read this, I just want to say "thank you." Thank you for sharing your stories, making them relatable and making me laugh and realize I'd be okay when it seemed like all hope was lost.

Keep it up, Jen. I adore you.

No comments:

Post a Comment